If you could go back in time and re-write a historical moment, what moment would you choose? LS Bassen wanted to revisit WWII and more specifically the death of Adolf Hitler in her tale Summer of the Long Knives. (Learn more about LS Bassen here.) In this episode Marie and Benjamin discuss reviews left for the story as well as their thoughts on the topic of Alternative History. Below are a list of topic Questions posed to the author.
1. Alternative fiction is a popular genre for story lovers, yet many authors find it a difficult genre to write. Did you have any concerns when you began writing Summer of the Long Knives?
2. With Nazi Germany being such a major historical period in time what tips or tricks did you utilize to keep fact and fiction from flowing too far away from one another?
3. What are your thoughts on reader knowledge? Do you feel that the average reader is willing to suspend disbelief to be entertained?
I posed this question to the Writers Group on facebook and I would like to take a moment to thank Sarah, Eanna, Mark, Kenneth, and Sasha for joining in the conversation. All of them agreed that a reader will suspend disbelief and that it is the Authors job through character development and world-building (a topic we discussed with Paul Grover in episode 17) but the examples given stemmed from Harry Potter (Still refuse to read that little gem) to Marvel. I wonder more about factual events straight out of High-School history books where there really is a universal agreement of facts.
4. Does writing alternative history allow you as the author to change history if even for a brief moment in time? Are there any other historical moments you wish (or plan) to re-write?
5. If you could rewrite anything in your own career as an author what would it be?
What are your thoughts? Leave a comment after you listen to the show. We would also be truly grateful if you would rate and review this show while you are there. Your reviews are a wonderful way to support this show and also a way for us to keep bringing you the content you want to listen to. Summer of the Long Knives is available for purchase on Amazon. Music found in this episode was performed by Dee Yan Key and is titled Holy Holy Holy. I would like to that Shirts by Sarah for supporting this show and Thank LS Bassen for taking the time to be part of the Indie Beginning Podcast. And most of all, thank you for listening!