This week we bring you a discussion with indie author J.G. Follansbee about using climate change as a backdrop for his dystopian tale Carbon Run. If you missed our reading of Carbon Run head over to episode 33. It can also be found on your preferred podcasting platform.
J.G. Follansbee was kind enough to sit down and answer a few questions for our fans. Here’s the list:
1. Since this is an end of the world kind of story, I thought I’d start with a Chicken or the egg type of question. What inspired you to write a post-apocalyptic story? Have resent weather events led to this tale or do you simply love the genre?
2. Your book seems (to us) to be a warning about the environment and how the government could use such a catastrophe against its people. Do you feel that as authors and creators it is our duty to discuss current issues through our crafts?
3. Climate change has become such a controversial topic: is there anything in your story you wish you could take out or change because of new information. Has there been any reader backlash?
4. What type of research goes into this genre of writing?
5. If you could go back in time and warn yourself about one part of your future as an author, what would that warning be?
Plus, did you know Charlie Huston was in a rejection letter weighing contest?
J.G. Follansbee’s discussion episode will help with your writing, inspire your reading, and maybe even teach you some things about climate change and where we may be heading. Carbon Run is available on Amazon. Remember to leave a review for the story and all of the stories you read when you’re finished! Reviews are such an important part of any artist’s journey and lead to learning and better content. In fact, podcasts love reviews too! Marie and I would be so appreciative if you’d leave a comment and review on apple podcasts or wherever you found us! Subscribe to the show to keep up with the stories!
Links to the sites featured in this week’s episode can be found below. This episode was brought to you by Shirt by Sarah! With school starting soon why not send your children back with an original ‘T’. Believe it or not, my best friend, Jeremiah and I actually met because of the shirt I was wearing one day! True Story! Indie Beginning is an ACNBooks production. All research, writing, editing was done by Benjamin Franke. Remember – read more books, be the best possible you, and simply enjoy this wonderful life. Thanks for listening.