This week the Indie Beginning Podcast brings our listeners an interview with indie author Rie Sheridan Rose about her story The Marvelous Mechanical Man and writing in the steampunk genre. If you missed the introduction that Benjamin Franke narrated or want a refresher before the discussion head back to episode 37. If you enjoy the steampunk genre or are interested in learning more about the indie / self-publishing process, these discussion episodes are for you. Let us know what other topics you are interested in by leaving a comment or sending us an e-mail.
About Rie Sheridan Rose:
Rie Sheridan Rose multitasks. Her short stories appear in numerous anthologies, including Nightmare Stalkers and Dream Walkers Vols. 1 and 2, and Killing It Softly Vol. 1 and 2. She has authored ten novels, six poetry chapbooks, and lyrics for dozens of songs. She and her husband have five cats, two of whom appear in The Conn-Mann Chronicles Steampunk series, two of whom impersonate Lenny and George from Of Mice and Men in size and attitude, and the elusive Miss Firefly. More info on www.riewriter.com. She tweets as @RieSheridanRose.
In this Episode:
1. The host’s first impression of this week’s featured beginning.
2. A review of reviews left for the Marvelous Mechanical Man. Don’t forget to review the show!
3. Our interview with Rie Sheridan Rose:
– What inspired you to write a novel in the steampunk setting? What is your favorite aspect of the steampunk genre?
– How did you go about researching for the Marvelous Mechanical Man? Did anything come about that ‘shocked’ you; an I never knew that moment?
– Marvelous Mechanical Man takes place in the 1800s. What is the most difficult part about reinventing a historical period that is so well known? Or is it not as well-known as we think.
– The dime-novel’s fast pace – writing style and storyline – seem to be a perfect complement for a steampunk tale. Was this your experience or was there a push and pull from the genres?
– If you could send a message through one of Professor Conn’s creations back to your early writing self what would that message say?
4. Final Thoughts
The Marvelous Mechanical Man is available on Amazon. Learn more about this story and the sequels at https://theconnmannchronicles.com – book five has just been released. Remember to leave a review for these stories as well as all of the stories you read. Reviews are such an important way to support an author and they only cost but a few moments of time. In fact, Reviews help podcasters as well. As a self-funded podcast there really isn’t money left over for advertising. Your reviews, word of mouth, and love of books is what keeps Indie Beginning running. If you’ve enjoyed this show please leave a 5-star review on apple podcasts, stitcher, or your preferred podcast platform.
All reviews in this episode were taken from Amazon. Music found in this episode was written and performed by Jahzzar and titled Look Inside. If you are an indie author and would like to hear you story featured on the indie beginning podcast go to ACNBooks.com/submit for more info.